Twenty eight members of the 60 voice SC Baptist Singing Churchmen were on mission in Cleveland Ohio from last Saturday, April 30 through today Saturday, May 7. God used us in amazing ways to share the good news of Christ!
Every time we sang we included a simple straightforward presentation of the gospel. But even better… from Sunday through Friday, we recorded 219 one-on-one conversations in which we presented the gospel in a personal and non-threatening way. Something like this: “Hi, did you enjoy our singing? We’re here telling people how much God loves them and wants to have a relationship with them through Jesus. Are you a Jesus-follower or have you experienced that relationship with God?”
From these conversations we gleaned 22 contacts which were turned over to Jay Schroder to give to Cleveland Church Planters for follow up.
DURING THE FIVE DAYS IN CLEVELAND we sang TWENTY TIMES in every imaginable setting. Here is a list of the places we sang:
Sunday, May 1:
- Morning Worship at Mount Pleasant Baptist Church where the Holy Spirit moved mightily. After our songs, Pastor Dwayne Simmons abandoned his sermon and communion service plans and preached on prayer and led us into an hour long time of praise and prayer for chains to be broken in the congregation and the city.
- Evening Worship with the Chinese Church in Hudson Ohio followed by Q&A about worship and music ministry then dinner with the church members and guests.
Monday, May 2:
- Concert at Tower City Mall in downtown Cleveland at lunch hour which led to many spiritual conversations.
- Singing in four locations on the downtown streets of Cleveland. Fun time!
- Concert at the Cleveland VA Hospital, one of the largest VA hospitals in the U.S.
Tuesday, May 3:
- Concerts in three Assisted Living Centers where NAMB church planter Dave Wible has started discipleship groups. (Dave has started over 70 discipleship groups in the past three years in the Cleveland area.)
- Flash Mob twice at local mall food court… many great conversations!
- Two concerts during evening feeding shifts at Lakeside Lutheran Men’s Shelter. Amazing experience!
Wednesday, May 4:
- Concert at the Medina OH town square gazebo for Brunswick Community Church then lunch at cafes all around the square to talk to those who had seen and heard us. Pastor Buck Wilford, former Special Forces officer, was meeting and talking to those passing with great energy and a huge smile.
- Flash Mob at the historic Westside Market in West Cleveland, a huge inside market featuring bakeries and delis and butcher shops.
- Concert for Liberty Hill Baptist Church, an African American congregation that loved us and provided for us in their dormitory style rooms where many mission groups stay each year and let us use their full kitchen for our meals.
Thursday, May 5:
- Participated in and sang for the Cleveland National Day of Prayer Event in Wade Oval Park, a powerful four hour prayer and praise fest with Christians from across the city.
- Concert of kids songs and gospel magic for Laura’s Home, shelter for abused mothers and children. One of the real highpoints of the trip… watching our group “dance” and sing motion songs with the kids. Jim Diehl, Director of Missions for Aiken Baptist Association, presented the gospel through kid-friendly magic, too.
Friday, May 6:
- Traveled halfway home and presented an evening concert at Ansted Baptist Church in West Virginia for a packed house pastored by Randy Spurgeon who is the former Worship & Music Director for WV but was called to pastor this church last fall. This church is a major force for the gospel, running around 200 in worship in a small town of only 2,000 residents. What a great way to end our trip!
THIS IS GOING FULL CIRCLE… WORSHIP THAT LEADS TO DISCIPLESHIP AND MISSIONS! And YOU can do it, too. GO! — Mark Powers