to become a Disciple-Maker who makes disciple-makers!
Here’s an easy plan that YOU can use to start an interactive, relational discipleship group to grow disciples in your worship ministry. It’s simple, requires a minimum of preparation, but will lead to deeper discipling relationships in your group. Remember… worship is not an end in itself, but rather the ignition key to discipleship and missions. IT’S YOUR TIME!
- Recruit and gather your group. Start on time. At each group meeting, a different group member will volunteer to be the story-teller. A volunteer for the following week will be enlisted at the end of the session.
- The leader will begin by asking those present to share some experiences they had during the past week. Ask: “How has God worked through you as his missionary since our last meeting?” After a few minutes of sharing, the leader will call on this week’s storyteller to begin today’s story.
- The storyteller for this session will begin by saying: “This is the story from God’s word.” They then re-tell today’s Bible story from memory in their own words in an engaging manner that reflects their own personality. They should not add personal comments or explanation and should conclude by saying: “That’s the story from God’s word.”
- The storyteller will ask someone to lead a prayer asking God to reveal his will for each participant in today’s group.
- The storyteller directs the group to look at today’s Bible story in the Scripture. The storyteller will ask “what” and “why” questions of the group about the story. In this way, they will rebuild the story, checking to see if any element was omitted or accidentally changed
- Discuss: “Which character in the story do you relate to most? Why?
- Discuss: “What did you learn from this story that is new to you? What surprised you?”
- Discuss: “What do we learn about God from this story?”
- Discuss: “What do we learn about people from this story?”
- Discuss: “How do you think God wants you to apply what you have learned?”
- Accountability Question: “With whom will you share the story this week?”
- Accountability question: “Where will you be on mission with God before our next meeting?”
- Invite the group to pray aloud for each other to close the group study.
- Enlist a storyteller for the next session.
- Remind the group of total confidentiality of everything shared today. This is crucial and must be honored at all times.
- State the next meeting date/time and then dismiss. Send the group out. End on time.
Here is a list of Bible stories and Scripture references for a curriculum to lead your group to go full circle in worship-discipleship-missions. These Bible stories focus first on worship, then discipleship, and finally missions for worship leaders. The stories are listed in chronological order as they occur in Scripture. But you may use them in the order that best fits your full circle group. There are eighteen stories listed, six each under the headings of worship-discipleship-mission.
• Numbers 8:5–26: Calling and commissioning the Levites, worship
leaders in the Tabernacle.
• 1 Chronicles 29:1–20: David called the nation of Israel to build the temple.
• Isaiah 6:1-8: God revealed himself to Isaiah in the temple.
• Matthew 28:16–20: Jesus’ followers worshiped him and he gave them
the Great Commission.
• Acts 16:16–40: Paul and Silas worshiped in prison; earthquake freed
them for mission.
• Revelation 4:1–11: Worship in heaven around God’s throne.
• Daniel 3: The golden image and the fiery furnace.
• Daniel 6: Daniel in the lion’s den.
• Matthew 4:18–22: Jesus calling the first disciples.
• Luke 4:1–13: Satan tempted Jesus.
• Mark 10:17–31: The rich young man.
• John 13:1-30: The greatest commandment.
• Jonah 1:1 to 3:5: God called Jonah to missions.
• Matthew 9: 9–23: Jesus ate with sinners, taught about wineskins, and
• Matthew 18:1–6: Who is the greatest?
• Luke 10:25–37: The parable of the good Samaritan.
• Acts 15: 1–12: The Jerusalem Council.
• Acts 17:16–34: Paul preached in Athens.
If you need help or other resources email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m serving HIM by serving YOU! MP